Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spring Cleaning/Weeding







It's that time of year again. The sun is shining, trees are budding, flowers are blooming, I'm sneezing, and my eyes are itching. Maybe that's why instead of spending time in the great outdoors, it's the time of year to do the deep clean inside the house.






I look around my house and see layers of clutter everywhere. Perhaps that's just because I spent some time cleaning the fridge over the weekend with Bravo TV's Hoarders: Buried Alive playing in the background. Things are not that bad in my house, but they aren't as great as the afters on that show either. What do you do with all that collected stuff? I read the other day that some people got rid of their junk by donating it to the tornado victims. Good grief. I don't want to be one of those people, so I'll wait until I can find some time to actually sort through my junk and reduce, reuse, recycle to the best of my ability.







Our library also has to go through some spring cleaning. It's actually called weeding. Pulling out seldom read books to make room on the shelves for current publications. We had to weed a lot to fit our collection into the new library, but much of what we got rid of should have been weeded out decades earlier. Now that it's a bit warmer out, some collections have been brought over from the old library. Nancy Drew finally found her way back and The Hardy Boys may be following soon. The classic young detectives stay while some of the paperback romances met with their demise today. There just isn't enough room on the shelves for everything.



Reduce, reuse, recycle. It certainly does take a bit of work. It's much easier to just toss and replace. That's not being a good steward of the earth though. It does amaze me how some people reduce, reuse, recycle. If you're super duper creative/crafty/artistic, there are all kinds of ways to "save the earth". Brian Dettmer amazes me.


















Who knew you could do so much with a discarded book?

No comments:

Post a Comment