Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The rain is dropping and the library is hopping.









It has been a pretty drizzly day outside today. And the library has been b-u-s-y! Adults, young adults, kids, little kids, we've seen just about everyone today. The kids are mostly here for the computers, but since we only have five of them and there are generally more than five kids hoping to use the computer at any given time, they end up waiting. Tween book club meets tomorrow for the first time, and I've got a couple copies of Holes behind the desk. Guess what some of the kids have been doing while they're waiting?






I did hear, "I hate reading" from one kid. And then another piped in with , "I die every time I read". My response, "It is a chancy thing to read, you never know when you might soak up too much knowledge for your brain to accommodate thus causing your head to explode." Or something like that. I think the only part they caught was "head explode", and I don't suppose the sarcasm could be caught with only those two words.






When I mentioned that there will be snacks at book club tomorrow, a few ears perked up. A few tweens walked out of here this evening with the intent to read at least 50 pages of Holes by Louis Sachar by tomorrow afternoon so that they can have a cookie. They are good cookies, well worth the 50 pages. If they had gotten to sample one of my cookies before, they would probably be willing to read 100 pages.






I haven't gotten around to reading the book either. I read it a few years ago, but I've forgotten a lot of it. I haven't seen the movie either. I'm on page 26 and typing quickly here so that I can go pop a bowl of popcorn and settle under a blanket on this dreary evening to read the rest of the book. So, you'll have to forgive me if this posting of the Marble Public Library blog is a bit stilted. But I've got some popcorn and a good book calling me.


The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment