Friday, July 15, 2011

Life lessons learned in Kindergarten

The most valuable of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it has to be done, whether you like it or not. --Aldous Huxley









What did we learn in kindergarten? We learned to share, cooperate with others, listen, and keep our hands to ourselves. We learned to work together, be kind to one another, and clean up after ourselves. We learned that we have a lot to learn. Or something like that. It's been a long time since I was in kindergarten. It's been a long time since I read Robert Fulghum's Everything I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. But I think I get the gist of the life lessons learned in kindergarten.



At what point do we forget those lessons? Or at what point to we just stoop to the levels of the people who never learned those lessons?

So, it appears the Minnesota government shut-down is almost at an end. Problem solved? Not really, seems like the problem is just put off for another season. I'm fed up with politicians who never learned to listen, play nice, or cooperate. Seems like there's a fight brewing at the national level as well. It appears that there aren't many in D.C. who learned those lessons. Or, maybe we just hear the bad news. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I suppose we wouldn't hear from the people who learned that lesson.



I appreciate that there are differences of opinion on how this country should be run. I just wish the powers that be would work together instead of beating each other into the ground over their differences. One world, many stories. So, let's take a listen and see the story from another vantage point.


When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson


Try to be nice to everyone, even the boy who eats paste. --Jane Wiitala


No comments:

Post a Comment