Thursday, January 5, 2012

“What an excellent tool the internet is for freaks.” ― Stieg Larsson, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

“Don’t ever fight with Lisbeth Salander. Her attitude towards the rest of the world is that if someone threatens her with a gun, she’ll get a bigger gun.”
Stieg Larsson, The Girl Who Played With Fire


The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Män som hatar kvinnor) Photo


I read the book a couple months ago and really enjoyed it.  I read the second in the series a few weeks later and stopped there.  I didn't want to read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest because then it would be over.  So, I waited.  Last weekend my husband and I saw the movie.  I loved it.  It had been long enough since I read the book that I didn't remember exactly what had happened, and could relax and just enjoy it instead of picking apart the differences between the two. 

Of course, as soon as we got home I had to hurry to finish the book I was reading so that I could read The Girl Who Played With Fire again.  I didn't remember much of it.  I suppose that's what happens when you are an avid reader.  I remembered some key scenes, but couldn't remember how they all fit together.  I stayed up entirely too late pretty much every night this week.  I was sad to see the book come to an end.  There's only one book left in Stieg Larsson's trilogy.  I started it this morning.

It's going to be awhile until anything gets done around my house. 

I also got the Swedish version of the film via inter-library loan.  I don't know how interested my husband is in watching it, but it's on my list of things to do this week.  (Laundry; bah, it'll still be there next week.)   

Stieg Larsson had planned to write ten books.  His death in 2004 came before his books became the huge commercial hit that they have become.  At the time, he had three completed manuscripts.  It was only shortly before his death he had tried to get his books published. 

I had heard that the book was a little difficult to get into.  You have to read the first hundred pages or so before you can really remember who all the characters are.  So, I downloaded the audio version (thank you Arrowhead Library System for making that possible!)  I listened to the first part of the book and only started reading the actual book when I had trouble understanding part of it after listening to it a few times.  From that point on, I was hooked. 

If you haven't read the series, it might be something to consider.  Sure, the first hundred pages or so are kind of hard to get through (from what I've heard), but after that it goes along pretty quickly.  If you have no desire to read it, go see the movie.  It may be a bit graphic in parts, and a bit dark; but it's a mystery/thriller that will leaving you wanting more of Lisbeth Salander.

0213

“Consider this a fair warning.”
Stieg Larsson, The Girl Who Played With Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment