Friday, March 30, 2012

Deadlines for the perpetually late





21-06-10 Cause I'd Rather Pretend I'll Still Be There At The End ~ Explored #1


Who forces time is pushed back by time; who yields to time finds time on his side. ~The Talmud

Time is what we want most, but... what we use worst. ~William Penn

I started reading Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child this morning.  And now it is 11:00 pm and I'm just starting to write this week's blog posting.  Nuts.  Usually I'm only a little bit late, today I'm running way behind.  I am perpetually late.  With just about everything. 

Just ask my mother.  I was late from the beginning.  I was a couple of weeks late.  I've gotten better, now I don't run much more than 15 minutes late.  Usually.  All the clocks in our house are set a bit fast.  I never know exactly what time it is.  I'm not sure I want to know.  I don't even trust the time given to me by my cell phone or iPod.  I'm pretty sure they are exactly set by some time-keeper, but it always seems as if they must be off a bit.  They never seem fast, always a bit slow.  The clocks in my house are fast, my electronics are slow, and I'm never entirely sure what time it is. 

Next week I start a two week stint opening up the library.  Scary, right?  Not really, I'm on time when I absolutely need to be.  Usually.  I allot myself extra time to get where I'm going.  Something usually comes up to foil my plans.  That something is usually me, but sometimes it's the four-year-old that I live with.  Just one more game, just one more page, just one more minute, and it turns into longer than I had intended.  The opening of the library is serious/fun business, so I'll be on time for that.  Next week I should have the blog rolling out on Wednesday.  I'll actually get it done at work instead of at home. 


Little Bee

I used to get this blog done on Wednesday nights.  Work was kind of busy this Wednesday, so I didn't get any of this writing done then.  Lots of people in and out, and then we had book club (Little Bee by Chris Cleave) and I spent some time trying to finish it.  I was 22 pages from the end when book club started.  Good thing not finishing the book won't get me kicked out of book club.



Gideon's Sword


This blog is particularly late this week because I was reading something good.  It's especially good because I've been doing a fair amount of deep reading lately.  I'll have more about that next week.  This is something thrilling, exciting, and page-turning.  I'm a huge Lincoln and Child fan.  Their books are a lot of fun for me.  Today was the perfect day to lay under a blanket, on the couch, with a cup of coffee and a good book.  A rain/snow mixed dreary day is exactly right for an easy read.




I work at a library, so I should be spending time reading.  Right?  I only work 5 hours a week, and sometimes you just can't get all the stuff done in that time.  Do I want to work more?  No, I'd rather sit home and read.  If I have to take my work home in the form of a blog that I need to write, so be it.  That's the price I pay for getting to work so little.  Does that make sense?  I suppose not.  It's after midnight now and I should really not be allowed to type anymore.  Time to go to bed.  I'll try to stick to my deadlines a bit better in the future.



Old Time, that greatest and longest established spinner of all!.... his factory is a secret place, his work is noiseless, and his hands are mutes. ~Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment