Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Return of the Book Club





Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! The return of the book club is here! In Cold Blood by Truman Capote was the book up for discussion this month. Next month I chose Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Since we hadn't met since October--I had to pick the book by myself.



Usually I pick out and print the summaries of 3-4 books and our loyal members choose which they'd like to read. I'm afraid I was pretty off my game this past week, and all my summaries fell flat. Good thing Tanja was there to pick out Ana's Story by Jenna Bush. There aren't any questions for the book on readinggroupguides.com, so we'll have to come up with our own list of questions. Good thing we got a volunteer for that!

Why join a book club?? It's fun when you read a good book to have someone to discuss it with. It's good when you finish a bad book to have someone to commiserate with. Some of the books we've read have been well liked, others not so much. Every time we get a bad one, they all blame me and bring up The Time Traveler's Wife. They all hated it. I had raved about it. It has become the standing joke when talking about what books we're going to read. I don't mind. I've also picked out some really good ones. Cold Rock River by J.L. Miles and Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen were also books that came highly recommended by me and that the book club members all loved. And yet; I'm remembered for Time Traveler's Wife, which they hated. Oh well.

A book club brings you along to books you otherwise may not have picked out. A book club will bring you outside of your comfort zone. A book club gives you an opportunity to discuss the highs and lows of the book of the month, and gives you the chance to change someone else's mind about any given book (barring the Time Traveler's Wife, obviously).

We meet the last Wednesday of every month at 6:30. We generally pick out books a couple months in advance, so that we can order them in time to pass the new book on at the end of our monthly meetings. You don't have to come every month, and obviously you don't have to love every book. You don't even have to finish the book. Or read it at all. But there is always coffee and generally some really good dessert to go along with it!


We passed out the copies of Life Of Pi that we had on hand, and more have come in since then for others should you get the hankering to join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment