Thursday, April 12, 2012

A half-baked idea is okay as long as it's in the oven. ~Author Unknown

You have to have an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea. ~Pablo Picasso



I've spent the past several days daydreaming.  I've given myself permission to sit back and idly think about various things.  I peruse magazines for ideas, search the web for ideas, and look online for ideas.  I fill my head with ideas and then sit back and let them percolate.  These are things that I've been thinkjing about for decades, years, months, or days.  You never know when something new might spring up when you sit back and let all the ideas simmer. 


Do you give yourself permission to daydream?  Do you set aside time for it?  This is a first for me.  I gave myself permission to sit back and think about stuff.  It's spring, so most of my ideas are about the great outdoors.  My gardens, the patio that I want to make this summer, travel plans, the woods, flowers, fences, and the list goes on and on.  The trouble for me lies in making those dreams a reality.  I need to work past my fear of not being able to complete something, and just get started.  I should probably make a plan of some sort first.

I'm a thinker, not a doer.  Grand ideas that never seem to come to fruition.  I shouldn't say never.  I've seen a few ideas through to completion.  It just seems like I've got more great ideas than time, resources, or talent.  Ahhhh, and that's why it's good to just sit back and take the time to sort through the pile of good ideas.  I'm also not a follower of plans.  Give me step by step directions and chances are pretty good that I won't follow them exactly.  There are times when I exhibit a higher level of confidence than competence. 

Small steps.  Things like patios aren't created overnight by the rank amateur.  I need to put together a bit more of an actual plan.  I loved sketching out my "dream house" when I was a kid.  I'm fortunate enough to be married to a man who can turn my sketches into something a bit more professional looking.  He also knows stuff about concrete, so I bet he could figure out how much we will need for the patio of my dreams.

Maybe if I plan better I'll be better able to follow those plans to competion.  A step by step guide for myself.  More work in begining, but perhaps a better outcome.

Here's hoping my competence will be greater than my confidence.

And now it's time to look around online for more great ideas.  Time for a little more daydreaming.

 
Ideas never run out


The way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas, and throw the bad ones away. ~Linus Pauling

No comments:

Post a Comment