Thursday, February 14, 2013

I'd like some chocolate.

"Look, there's no metaphysics on earth like chocolates."  ~Fernando Pessoa

“Happy Valentines Day to those who have found love, in whatever shape or form, and to those who are still hunting, don’t give up. If you feel bad, send yourself a card. You must be worth it...”  ~Jeanette Winterson


It's Valentine's Day!  A day for flowers, chocolate, and expressions of love.  Or like.  Or maybe just some chocolate the next day when it's all on sale.  

I have three girls.  They all had valentines to make.  For the past four years or so, I haven't bought valentines.  I did for a couple years, but I just couldn't see spending money on some pieces of paper that the kids were going to look at for a second before discarding because there was no candy attachedSo, the girls make their cards.  I have no idea what the parents of the kids in their class think about us.  I would guess they think I'm a nut.  They're partly right.  I am nuts; but more than that, I'm cheap.  We have paper, crayons, markers, pens, pencils, tape and glue.  And the kids have time.    

I like making cards.  I used to buy them, but this way I can get a card that really says what I think & feel.  Instead of spending time finding the card that says the right thing; I make my own that says exactly what I feel, although much less poetically.  Sometimes I just find a quote I like and use that.  I always do some artwork on the front of the card.  I feel like it's more personal.  I may not have words, but I can create something.  They might not be great, but they are cheaper than Hallmark.  It takes some time, but I've got time.  I just spend an hour less doing something else.   I'm sure I won't miss too much online during that time.  My book will wait.  The dishes can soak.  The laundry can sit in the dryer and get a little more wrinkled.  

I like getting cards that people have spent time making.   I understand that my husband isn't an artist.  I understand that he isn't a poet.  I appreciate the efforts he goes to when making me a card.  My kids have varying degrees of creativity and interest in making cards.  I appreciate the effort they put into them.  I think they have fun.  I don't think they mind that they're the only kids in class who make their own valentines.  They seem to be proud of the fact that they make the cards themselves.  This year I didn't help them.  At all.  I might have helped one of them track down the list of kids in their classroom, but that's it.  

And that's just the way I like it.

I'll pick up a heart shaped box of chocolates for myself on Friday when they're on sale.

Valentine's Day makes me feel so warm inside :D

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt." ~Charles M. Schulz

2 comments:

  1. I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here.
    ตี่จู้เอี๊ยะ ราคา

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    ตี่จู้เอี๊ยะโมเดิร์น

    ReplyDelete