Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Reader's block

“Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books.”
― Mary Ann Shaffer, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


I spent the weekend without a book to read.  I had a few magazines that I read from cover to cover, and a couple of guide books for Vancouver, British Columbia that I read through.  I saw stuff in the magazines that made me want to shop and some places in the guide books that I'd like to visit.  I  didn't stay up late reading either.  I missed having a story to dive into. 

I'm currently suffering from reader's block.  Usually this happens after I've read something really great and I just need to let the story steep for a while.  This time I'm suffering from reader's block because I haven't read anything riveting in a couple weeks.  I've read some good books, but nothing that I had trouble putting down.  It's been months since I read something like that.  The past few books have been a bit more dry, a bit more factual, a bit less fun.  Interesting?  Yes.  Worth reading?  Yes.  But, too much of one thing makes me bored.  Now I'm kind of off books and I need something really great to get me back to reading.  The problem is, I don't know exactly what I want.  I want to make sure it's something I can immediately get sucked into.  If I have to read fifty pages before I get into the story I may find myself thinking that reading is boring.  I know that isn't true. 

I may have to pull out the Terry Pratchett books I've been saving.  I saved them for a time when I would need a book other than a library book.  A time when I'm traveling.  I may not be going anywhere anytime real soon, but I think this is an emergency.  It's either that or another read of my favorite book, Beginner's Luck by Laura Pedersen.  It's been a couple years since I last read it, and I think one of my copies of the book just came back after being loaned out to a friend.  Either of those books will get me back on the reading track.  Either of those books will cause me to read past a decent bedtime.  EXACTLY what I'm looking for!






I like to think that if you hate reading, you just haven't found the right book.  I know it's true.  If you think reading is boring, you haven't been reading the right books.  Sure, there are a lot of boring books out there.  But there's something for everyone out there, you just have to find it.  If you don't know where to look, come and ask me--it would be my pleasure to find something for you!

“This book was written using 100% recycled words.”
― Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters

No comments:

Post a Comment